[R] "Old" libraries with new R?

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Tue Sep 16 16:54:16 CEST 2003

Hi Folks,

I'm currently installing R-1.7.1 off CRAN.

As it happens, I have a CD (kindly made for me by Linux
Emporium) containing all the libraries which were on CRAN
early this year when I installed R-1.6.1. This is highly
convenient, since the alternative would be several hours
on-line.

While a recent library will on installation announce the
fact should it need a newer version of R than the one which
is installed, presumably this is not likely to be the case
for an old library if a newer version of R is incompatible
with it.

So is there a way of finding out whether a library dating
from some time back is compatible with a recent R, other than
simply trying it out to see if it works OK?

With thanks, and best wishes to all,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972
Date: 16-Sep-03                                       Time: 15:54:16