[R] can predict ignore rows with insufficient info

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Tue Sep 16 22:17:59 CEST 2003

Peter  -

Your subsequent email seems just right.  You have to determine
ahead of time which rows can be estimated.  Here's a strategy,
and possibly some code to implement it.

Let  supported(i,y,d)  be a user-written function which returns
a logical vector indicating rows which should be omitted from
the prediction on account of a non-covered covariate in column i
of data frame d with outcome variable y.  Apply this function to
all columns in your data frame using  lapply().  Then do the "or"
of all the logical vectors by calculating the row sums of the
numeric (0 or 1) equivalents.  Last, convert back to logical,
and subscript your data frame with this in the call to  predict().

Here's some rough code:

supported <- function(i,y,d)  {
   result <- rep(F, dim(d)[1])      # default return value when
   if (is.factor(d[[i]]))           #  d[[i]] is not a factor.
     result <- d[[i]] %in% unique(d[[i]][ !is.na(d[[y]]) ])
   result  }

tmp.1 <- lapply(seq(along=const), supported, "days", const)
tmp.2 <- matrix(unlist(tmp.1[ names(const) != "days" ]), nrow=dim(const)[1])
tmp.3 <- as.logical(as.vector(tmp.2 %*% rep(1, dim(tmp.2)[2])))

x <- predict(g, const[ is.na(const$days) & !tmp.3, ])

This code uses a few arcane maneuvers.  Look at help pages for
the relevant functions to dope out what it is doing.  Particularly
for  lapply(), seq(), rep(), unlist(), unique(), "%*%", "%in%".
(The last two must be quoted in order to see the help).

However, the code might work for you right out of the box !

-  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -