Just don't do it, surely? (was RE: [R] Retrieve ... argument values)

Simon Fear Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
Wed Sep 17 18:25:55 CEST 2003

Tony, I don't understand what you mean. Could you give
an example?

I don't think I agree with that (though maybe I just didn't
get it). I prefer to know what arguments a function is going
to use.

> Another reason for not following that principle is that tf
> you
> have several lower level functions with different default
> values for an
> argument of the same name, it becomes impossible to get the
> lower-level
> default behavior.

I'm lost there. When I choose which function to call it has
its own default??

I often call a function of mine called timepoints.summary for which I
want
to pass graphical parameters to boxplots, matplots and confidence
interval plots. So I name the arguments cex.boxplot, col.boxplot etc
and then within the function I call boxplot(x, cex=boxplot.cex) and so
on. I wouldn't expect a single argument "cex" to magically work out
whether it was being used in a boxplot or matplot and change
to a different default??

Simon Fear
Senior Statistician
Syne qua non Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1379 644449
Fax: +44 (0) 1379 644445
email: Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
web: http://www.synequanon.com

Number of attachments included with this message: 0

This message (and any associated files) is confidential and\...{{dropped}}