[R] Installing from RPM on Red Hat 9

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Thu Sep 18 13:58:45 CEST 2003

Hi Folks,
Sorry to bring up this kind of issue (though any discussion may help
some other people).

I've just installed Red Hat 9 Linux (opting for GNOME) and now want
to install R.
I downloaded the RPM for Red Hat 9 from CRAN (as well as the patched
readline).

Attempting to install ( rpm -i R-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm ) I get, pretty
quickly, the following:

warning: R-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 97d3544e
error: Failed dependencies:
        libtk8.3.so is needed by R-1.7.1-1

I guess the "warning" can be ignored, but I'm bothered by the failed
dependency.