[R] Z aware interpolation

David Richard John Pleydell D.R.J.Pleydell at pgr.salford.ac.uk
Mon Sep 22 15:03:54 CEST 2003

Hi Monica

geoR enables you to do universal kriging, kriging where the mean is
modelled on one or more Z variables, you can do this by specifying the
trend component (your Z variable) with the likfit function (if you are
using maximum liklihood based methods), or with variog function which is
used with variofit for least squares based methods.

As Edzer pointed out there is also gstat, you may like to look at
co-kriging which enables spatial information in your Z variable to be
included in you interpolation. With co-kriging you end up using 3 variogram
models compared to 1 used in universal kriging, but it may (or may not)
give a more meaningful prediction depending on your problem.

Then with some cunning wizardry and a little luck you can then export to
your GIS package.

Hope this helps
Dave