[R] Rank and extract data from a series

James Brown jdb33 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 23 13:50:43 CEST 2003

I would like to rank a time-series of data, extract the top ten data items
from this series, determine the corresponding row numbers for each value
in the sample, and take a mean of these *row numbers* (not the data).

I would like to do this in R, rather than pre-process the data on the
UNIX command line if possible, as I need to calculate other statistics
for the series.

I understand that I can use 'sort' to order the data, but I am not aware
of a function in R that would allow me to extract a given number of these
data and then determine their positions within the original time series.

e.g.

Time series:

1.0 (row 1)
4.5 (row 2)
2.3 (row 3)
1.0 (row 4)
7.3 (row 5)

Sort would give me:

1.0
1.0
2.3
4.5
7.3

I would then like to extract the top two data items:

4.5
7.3

and determine their positions within the original (unsorted) time series:

4.5 = row 2
7.3 = row 5

then take a mean:

2 and 5 = 3.5