[R] filled.contour without box

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Sep 23 18:01:17 CEST 2003

    UweL> Jan Kleinn wrote:
    >> Dear all,
    >>
    >> I would like to make a filled contour plot without the
    >> box R is generating by default around the plotting area,
    >> i.e. I'm looking for an option in filled.contour similar
    >> to 'axes=F' in 'contour' or in 'plot'.  I couldn't find
    >> any option to get rid of the box, any help is welcome.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Jan:-)

[ filled.contour()  does have an `axes = FALSE' option but that
  eliminates axes both on the image _and_ on the key/legend.

  As Roger Peng has just noted you can get rid of the axes of
  the image alone, using  `plot.axes = {}',
  however as you say, it's the box, not the axes you want to get
  rid of
]

    UweL> Easy to add a corresponding feature:

    UweL>   fix(filled.contour)

    UweL> Now, remove the two lines including "box()".  Or even
    UweL> better, add an argument to turn plotting of the box on
    UweL> or off.

R-1.8.0  will also have an argument  'frame.plot'
which can be set to FALSE to eliminate the box around the plot.
Note that it does not eliminate the box around the legend.
Since I think this is hardly desired this is still not an option
of the future filled.contour().

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><