AW: [R] Rank and extract data from a series

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Tue Sep 23 19:44:09 CEST 2003

Using Thomas Unternährer's handy example, one could also do:

 > X <- c(1, 4.5, 2.3, 1, 7.3)
 > mean(order(X, decreasing=TRUE)[1:2])
[1] 3.5

I think this will give the same results as Thomas Unternährer's suggested
code in almost all cases, but it is perhaps more concise and direct
(provided that you don't actually need the values of the top items).

(of course you have to change the 1:2 to 1:10 for your needs).

Note that this question gets tricky if there are ties such that there is no
unique set of row numbers that identify N "top" items.

For example, consider the following data:

 > X <- c(1,3,2,3,4)

Taking "top two", should the answer be 3.5 (avg of row numbers 2 and 5),
4.5 (avg of row numbers 4 and 5), or 3.666667 (avg of row numbers 2,4 and 5)?

 > mean(order(X, decreasing=TRUE)[1:2])
[1] 3.5
 > order(X, decreasing=TRUE)[1:2]
[1] 5 2
 > # Andy Liaw's suggestion:
 > mean(which(X %in% sort(X, decreasing=TRUE)[1:2]))
[1] 3.666667
 > which(X %in% sort(X, decreasing=TRUE)[1:2])
[1] 2 4 5
 > # Thomas Unternährer's suggestion:
 > mean(match(sort(X, decreasing=TRUE)[1:2], X))
[1] 3.5
 > match(sort(X, decreasing=TRUE)[1:2], X)
[1] 5 2

hope this helps,