[R] Typical R installation problem

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Sep 24 13:29:38 CEST 2003

mahustonor at comcast.net writes:

> Dear Peter,
>
> 	I don't know if this is the proper way to ask for help installing R, but if
> not, I presume you can pass this on to the appropriate place.
>
> 	I'm trying to install the latest binary on Redhat 9, and keep getting the same
> error message no matter what I try.
>
> [root at localhost mhu]# rpm -i R-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm
> warning: R-1.7.1-1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 97d3544e
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libtcl8.3.so is needed by R-1.7.1-1
>         libtk8.3.so is needed by R-1.7.1-1
> [root at localhost mhu]# exit
>
> I actually found these two files in an obscure location on my computer, and
> copied them to /usr/lib/ I also set my path to include the obscure location.  SO
> they are actually available.  At least when I enter libtcl8.3.so it is
> apparently read and a segmentation fault occurs.
>
> So, do you have any suggestions about how to get around this problem.  I don't
> know what else to do to make these routines available to the R install.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I had no problem installing R on my MAC
> OS 10.1.5.

Shuffling files about without telling RPM about it is not going to
change anything.

You need to *install the RPMs* that contain those files:

[pd at fritz pd]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libtcl8.3.so
tcl-8.3.5-88
[pd at fritz pd]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libtk8.3.so
tk-8.3.5-88

Granted, that's easier to figure out when you have a system where they
have alredy been installed, but it shouldn't be massively hard to
guess that libtcl comes from tcl and libtk from tk... [When push comes
to shove, go to your installation RPM directory and do something like
"rpm -qlip *.rpm | less", search for the file name and flip back to
the package description]