[R] splitting clusters

Subramanian Karthikeyan Subramanian_Karthikeyan at hc-sc.gc.ca
Thu Sep 25 19:10:18 CEST 2003

Thanks Martin,

Cutting the dendrogram as you suggested solved the problem.   I have
another question along the same lines... If samples x1, x2, y4,y5, z6 are
clustered together, is there a way of extracting this information (i.e.
name of the samples clustered together) and saving it in a file?

Thanks again,
Karthi.

                      Martin Maechler
                      <maechler at stat.ma        To:       "Subramanian Karthikeyan" <Subramanian_Karthikeyan at hc-sc.gc.ca>
                      th.ethz.ch>              cc:       r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
                                               Subject:  Re: [R] splitting clusters
                      2003-09-25 03:56
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Martin Maechler

<Subramanian_Karthikeyan at hc-sc.gc.ca>

    KarthiS> Hi All: I am clustering 500 genes using hclust of
    KarthiS> R.  Visualizing cluster membership becomes
    KarthiS> difficult with so many genes in each cluster...Is
    KarthiS> there a way of printing the dendrogram in multiple
    KarthiS> pages so that I can clearly see what is in each
    KarthiS> cluster?

- Use dd <- as.dendrogram(hc) on your hclust result `hc',
  then dd[1] gives the first branch, dd[1][2] the 2nd sub-branch of
  the first branch, etc., see the examples on
  ?dendrogram.

- The package "maptree" has also tools for this,
  particularly  prune.clust()

    KarthiS> Thanks in advance.

you're welcome.
--