[R] installation : make fails (R-1.7.1 on RedHat 8.0)

Laurent Faisnel laurent.faisnel at ariase.com
Fri Sep 26 14:51:09 CEST 2003

Peter Dalgaard BSA wrote:
> Laurent Faisnel <laurent.faisnel at ariase.com> writes:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm trying to compile R-1.7.1 from source (on a RedHat 8.0) instead of
>>using the binary version, as it has often been advised.
>>However I don't manage to find a solution to the following error which
>>occurs during the make procedure :
>

>>gcc -I../../../../include /usr/include/mysql  -D__NO_MATH_INLINES
>
>                             ******************
>
>>-mieee-fp  -fPIC  -g -O2 -c ansari.c -o ansari.o
>

> The stars indicate the problem. This wants to -I/usr/include/mysql if
> anything, otherwise gcc will believe that there are two files to
> compile and complain about the -o. I suspect that you entered the
> wrong thing during configuration.

Peter,
Thanks for your answer, but everything is not clear to me. This
installation was made with the default ./configure without any
additional option (so if I made something wrong, it is to forget an
option). I checked out ./configure --help.
What should I add ? I don't believe there are headers or libraries in
unusual places on my disk. Moreover, why does the script search for
mysql now ? I'm interested by mysql, but this comes later with RMySQL !
Anyway, mysql headers *are* in /usr/include/mysql.

Regards,
Laurent