[R] checking generic/method consistency

Simon Fear Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
Fri Sep 26 18:24:18 CEST 2003

<snip>
> ... the intention
> is to find a style that avoid problems like yours, where it says that
> you should avoid periods in function names except if you use it for S3
> class methods. Feedback is appreciated.

One possible argument against this is the fact that 851 of the 1655
objects in base use a period in their name.

OK, well, not really that many because this list includes a lot of bona
fide S3 class methods - but it also includes sys.*, unix.*, win.* and
that's
not
to mention data.frame (which is of course NOT a method of the
function data). And help.start. Then there is read.* which is to some
extent S3-class-like in that the read method is set by .* but it is
called explicitly, rather than according to the class of the first
argument.

So, I don't see universal support for  your .* proposal ... and I'm
certainly
not going to rewrite my old code...

simon.fear at synequanon.com (nice  S4 class syntax)

Simon Fear
Senior Statistician
Syne qua non Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1379 644449
Fax: +44 (0) 1379 644445
email: Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
web: http://www.synequanon.com

Number of attachments included with this message: 0

This message (and any associated files) is confidential and\...{{dropped}}