[R] shared object

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Sep 30 09:54:43 CEST 2003

    Hu> Dear R-helper, I have one question for creating shared
    Hu> objects (C code) on Unix.  Since there is a set of
    Hu> softwares (such as Rtools, Perl, etc.) to be dowloaded
    Hu> for generating shared objects on windows, I am wondering
    Hu> whether I need to install a set of these kind of
    Hu> softwares to generating shared objects on unix.

What is "unix" here?
There are many flavors of Unix around the most famous nowadays
is Linux which I guess you are *not* using.

Tell us what
     "uname -a"
gives (or other relevant information about your "Unix").

    Hu> Assume I have a c code called foo.c, I just simly typed

    Hu> R CMD SHLIB foo.c

    Hu> it tells me that 'make' not found.

which I guess is because "make" is not in your PATH, while it
still exists on your computer / file server.

    Hu> Therefore could you tell me what software I need to
    Hu> install for generating shared objects on unix???

Do you have a system administrator (person!) for your unix
environment?  If yes, ask her/him !
If no, you probably should learn quite a bit more about your
unix by reading a basic introduction...

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><