[R] rgl crashes R

Karim Elsawy elsawy at ysbl.york.ac.uk
Tue Sep 30 11:39:14 CEST 2003

I was using rgl library and it was going well, all of a sudden it
started to crash
which leads R to quit giving this error message

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  142 (XFree86-DRI)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  13 ()
  Value in failed request:  0x2e00067
  Serial number of failed request:  705

what is intriguing is that when I re-run R it works only for the first
time and fails
again every second time

this almost the same script I used:
step.x<-20;step.y<-20;step.z<-15
xseq <- seq(-300,300,step.x)
yseq<-  seq(-300,300,step.y)
zseq <- seq(-105,105,step.z)
library(rgl)
       rgl.open()

rgl.bbox(xseq,yseq,zseq,xlab=xseq,ylab=yseq,zlab=zseq,color="yellow")
min.tmp<-c(2.2,4.5,9.3)
rgl.spheres(min.tmp[1],min.tmp[2],min.tmp[3],radius=10)

and I'm using R 1.7.1 under linux red hat

any ideas what is going wrong
best regards
karim