[R] truncated multivariate normal

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Tue Sep 30 23:29:43 CEST 2003

  Do you mean you want to generate deviates from this distribution or that
you want the density function (or distribution function)?

mvrnorm in package MASS (library(MASS)) will generate multivariate normal
deviates.  A brute-force approach would just keep picking values until you
get ones in the right quadrant, although with your example (large
variance, small mean) that would mean you would be wasting 3/4 of your
values -- so there are probably more efficient approaches.  Depends how
much time you want to spend programming, how many values you want to draw,
and how fast your computer is ...

   Ben