[R] Zero Index Origin?

Jason Turner jasont at indigoindustrial.co.nz
Thu Apr 1 00:15:50 CEST 2004

> I don't really wish to go into all of the reasoning why this
> convenience is important to DSP applications.

I do some DSP work, in the context of instrumentation signal filtering,
identification, tracking, and coherence (finding plant signals that have
similar "fingerprints").  I agree that in languages that require you to
work with explicit index values, the zero-offset makes perfect sense.

However, I'd like to second Prof. Ripley's remark that if you're actually
using indicies explicitly, you probably haven't wrapped your head around
how powerful the indexing structure and "whole object" approach is in S
(including R).  It's been a long time since I used counter-based indicies.

> I'd
> like to promote R in the various usenet and email groups
> that are involved in DSP type programming, even to the point
> of recruiting an R-DSP working group

Sounds interesting.  Could you contact me off-list about this?

Cheers

Jason