[R] Confidence Intervals for slopes

David Orme d.orme at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Apr 1 13:55:13 CEST 2004

Hi,

Thanks for the pointer - the 'lm(y~x:z)'  model does give the slopes
directly and hence confint gives the confidence intervals.

The thing that puzzles me is that my dummy data explicitly sets the
three levels of the factor to have different variances and yet the
standard error is the same for all three parameter estimates in the
summary.lm output - is this a common standard error of the 'x:z' term
in the model? If you fit a separate regression to subsets of the data
for each level in 'z' then the standard errors of the slope reflect
these differences in variance. What I was trying to get was confidence
limits from within a single model that also reflect the difference in
certainty about the three slopes.

I realize that this is a failing of my understanding and more a stats
question than an R question - if anyone can give me any advice or
pointers, that would be great.

Thanks,
David