[R] Can R be useful to me?

Paul Sorenson Paul.Sorenson at vision-bio.com
Fri Apr 2 00:30:40 CEST 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:32:49AM -0300, Luiz Rodrigo Tozzi wrote:

> My question is: can I generate graphics and tables in gif ou any graphical
> format through shell script?? can I call R, run a package in my ascii data e
> then export the results to a gif, png or whatever?

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:32:49AM -0300, Luiz Rodrigo Tozzi wrote:

> My question is: can I generate graphics and tables in gif ou any graphical
> format through shell script?? can I call R, run a package in my ascii data e
> then export the results to a gif, png or whatever?

I do this on my windows machine to generate project metrics
automatically every morning.  For my situation, the following works well:

    o Gather CSV files from various sources (I use python).

    o Run R to generate PNG (or whatever) format images.  I am aware
of packages to link python and R but I just open an R process and
stream commands to it.

    o Copy the CSV files and images to network directory.  This
network directory is also accessible to the intranet via apache.  I
wrote a simple CGI script in python to present all the diagrams back
to the browser.