[R] R on Tru64 OSF 5.1

J Swinton js229 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 16:36:54 CEST 2004

Has anyone achieved a current successful build of R
1.8 or 1.9 or earlier for HPUX Tru 64 OSF 5.1?

There is no binary version of R for HPUX Tru 64 OSF
5.1. The R admin manual mentions that the native make
fails on "Alpha/OSF (aka Tru 64)" and gnu make must be
used instead. There are problems reported with
building R versions around 1.4 from 2002 on R-devel,
some of which were fixed with using gmake instead of
make, some of which were fixed by changes to R
sources, but it is unclear if current R compiles on
the current OSF 5.1, which is what I need to know
before trying to get our local IS admins to try again
after their first three failures.

Jonathan