[R] memory limit problem

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Apr 3 22:39:59 CEST 2004

Yi-Xiong Sean Zhou wrote:

> Could anyone advise me how to allocate 1.5Gbyte memory for R on a Dell
> laptop running XP professional with 2G memory?

See ?Memory or the the R for Windows FAQ, which tells you:

"2.7 There seems to be a limit on the memory it uses!

Indeed there is. It is set by the command-line flag --max-mem-size (see
How do I install R for Windows?) and defaults to the smaller of the
amount of physical
RAM in the machine and 1Gb. [...]"

> I have tried
>
> "C:\Program Files\R\rw1081\bin\Rgui.exe" --max-vsize=1400M
>
> but I only get only 500MB for R actually.
>

> I also tried memory.limit(2^30) in R and got error of:

Well, you don't want to allocate 2^30 *Mega*Bytes (see ?memory.limit),
do you?

Either use the command line flag --max-mem-size=1500M or within R:
 memory.limit(1500)

> Error in memory.size(size) : cannot decrease memory limit

Since your limit was roughly 10^6-times off the right one, you got an
integer overflow internally, I think.

Uwe Ligges