[R] Very slow start of R under MacOS X

Laurence Loewe Laurence.Loewe at evolutionary-research.net
Mon Apr 5 15:23:14 CEST 2004

Hi,

Since R 1.4.1 I am using R for various purposes on my Mac (OS9 and
OSX10.3) and I am quite happy with it. However, recently I tried to
update the binaries to 1.7.1 or 1.8, only to find that I have to wait
for a painfully long time after doublecklicking R to start the
application until I can type my first command.

Does anybody know, why versions 1.7. and above are so much slower
than my old 1.4?
Is that only on my Mac or does everybody experience that?
Is there anything that I could do to speedup starting R?

Thanks for any help.
Laurence

Laurence Loewe
Institute of Cell, Animal and Population Biology - University of Edinburgh
Ashworth Laboratories - Kings Buildings - West Mains Road - Edinburgh
EH9 3JT - Scotland  UK
Tel: +44 (131) 650 - 7330

---
Visit http://www.evolutionary-research.net and be part of evolution at home,
the first public distributed computing system for evolutionary biology. Help
predict genetic causes for the extinction of species while your CPU is idle.