[R] Can't seem to finish a randomForest.... Just goes and goe s!

David L. Van Brunt, Ph.D. dvanbrunt at well-wired.com
Tue Apr 6 04:38:13 CEST 2004

Fortunately, I'm not interested in any of the explanatory uses of model
building, just getting a useful prediction. I have a lot of "explaining" on
my day job. For this, I just want to be right, don't care about the why. I
have thought of on alternative approach, not sure of the implications. I
could run each "subject" separately, and predict each separately. Get a
forest for one group, to predict this organization's behavior given its long
history. Repeat for each other. Then just compare the probabilities of
reaching the desired state. In a sense, that's kind of the goal anyway...
But since none of these groups operate in a vacuum, seems like it would be
nice to get the bigger picture in there somehow. Not sure if this
alternative is really workable.

Thanks for all of your hard work, Andy (and for your input Bill and
Torsten). It really is a fascinating approach.

Looks like to modify that bootstrapping, I'd  have to go into the Fortran
code, then? Hmmmm. Talk about being out of one's league!