[R] Re: [R-gui] Editor in R

Rory Campbell-Lange rory at campbell-lange.net
Thu Apr 8 12:15:04 CEST 2004

On 07/04/04, Duncan Murdoch (dmurdoch at pair.com) wrote:
> >S?ren H?jsgaard wrote:

> >I'm on a PC and have VIM, a VI clone that I love.  Is it possible and
> >relatively easy to replace the Emacs editor with one like that which
> >you already have?
>
> Does VIM have a way to run a program that uses stdin, stdout and
> stderr, capturing the input and output?

On my linux system, with my environmental variables pointing to vim, the
command

    edit()

puts me into a vim buffer.

You may want to discover if you can get readline support for R too, as
it is great being able to use vi keybindings to surf through the command
history and do quick and easy cutting and pasting.

eg: <ESC>2k        goes up two commands
    <ESC>/abs      find the first line with 'abs'
    n              find the next line with 'abs'
    W              move to the second word on a line
    d$             delete from second word to end into buffer
    p              paste

Rory
--
Rory Campbell-Lange