[R] (offtopic) I need two sets of 5 different color scales

Tamas Papp tpapp at axelero.hu
Sat Apr 10 13:09:18 CEST 2004

Hi,

I am plotting a policy function (result from a dynamic stochastic
optimization problem, discretized approximation).  The policy function
maps from an 2 x 2 x 2 x 3 x B x F state space to a B x F state space
(B and F are usually between 4-6, and represent domestic and foreign
savings.  The other variables are income (Y), inflation (Pi), domestic
and foreign interest rates (R and Z)).  I actually wrote a plotting
function to represent all this, the result is attached -- please have
a look at it and help me...

I need advice in the following: I need two sets of colors for B and F
which are easy to distinguish (when printed on a color laser printer),
represent cardinality (ie have an intuitive mapping to an interval) or
at least ordinality.

I have experimented with the following:

Bcolors <- hsv(.6, seq(0.2, 1, length=5), 1)
Fcolors <- hsv(seq(.1,0, length=5), seq(0.2, 1, length=5)

this is what you see in the plot.  What colors would you use?  Do you
think that varying both brightness and hue helps to distinguish
colors?  Should I change saturation, too?

Thanks,

Tamas

PS.: The plot is simply gzipped.  If you need a zipped version, or the
source code, contact me.

--
Tamás K. Papp
E-mail: tpapp at axelero.hu
Please try to send only (latin-2) plain text, not HTML or other garbage.