[R] Non-homogeneity of variance - decreasing variance

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Apr 14 03:15:31 CEST 2004

Dear Simon,

I'm not sure that I follow this entirely, but if error variance decreases
with the level of the response, you could try raising the response to a
power greater than 1. Of course, the response has to be non-negative. You
might take a look at the spread.level.plot function in the car package,
which will produce a suggested transformation when applied to an lm object.

I hope that this helps,
 John