[R] Complex sample variances

Baskin, Robert RBaskin at ahrq.gov
Wed Apr 14 16:29:02 CEST 2004

<     Construct a new weight within the stratum as the sample weight
multiplied by the frequency>
The correct formula for the new weights can be found in Chapter 6 of Shao
and Tu (1996) "The Jackknife and the Bootstrap", Springer

Also in:
" Keith Rust & Jon Rao have an overview article in Statistical Methods in
Medical Research (1996 vol 5, pp 283-310) which review most of the
literature and methods to that point (also see Shao & Tu's book Chapter 6).
They also give the correct formula for the bootstrap weights.  It is highly
recommended in Rust & Rao (referring to Rao & Wu) that for bootstrap you
select n(h)-1 out of n(h) PSUs in stratum h with replacement."

If you select n(h)-1 out of n(h) PSUS in strata h the new weight should be:

New-weight = Old-weight * frequency PSU is selected * n(h) / (n(h) - 1)

So if you randomly select 1 out 2 PSUs you double the weight because of the
factor n(h) / (n(h) - 1).

This method is basically randomly building BRR replicates (in a 2-per
design) so it is like an inefficient BRR and the number of bootstrap
replicates needed may depend on both the statistic being estimated and the
number of replicates in a fully balanced BRR set.

Bob