[R] Box-Ljung p-value -> Test for Independence

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Sat Apr 17 15:33:15 CEST 2004

1) A small p-value is evidence that there is dependence.
So you want to see large p-values.  But a large p-value
is not really evidence of independence -- merely a lack
of evidence of dependence.

You might be able to get a hint of the power of your test
(which is what you really care about) from the working
paper about Ljung-Box on the Burns Statistics website.

2) The statistic is really an average of the lags up to the
stated lag.  So if the dependence is all at lag 5, tests with
lags below 5 have no power, the lag 5 test has maximum
power, and the power decreases as the lag of the test
increases above 5.

Patrick Burns

Burns Statistics
patrick at burns-stat.com