[R] New unique name

Erich Neuwirth erich.neuwirth at univie.ac.at
Mon Apr 19 14:42:16 CEST 2004

Since I have not been precise enough, let me explain in more detail.
I am executing some R code in the COM server.
For making function calls with parameters existing as ranges in Excel,
I need to assign values for the arguments of the function call to
temporary R variables.
This is the only way of transferring large matrices quickly from Excel
to R.
Then, I construct a string which is the function call to be executed.
The string contains the names of the newly created R variables
for the function arguments.
This string then is sent to R and executed as a command.
Therefore, I need names which do not get in conflict with anything
defined at the moment, because these names have to hold my transferred
matrices and should not change anything that exists at that moment.
I do some funny stuff with a strange word and the date and the clock
at the moment, but I would like a cleaner solution.

What is an easy way of doing this?

All the Linux based solutions will not work, since this for the
RExcel project.

Erich Neuwirth