[R] Size of R user base

Kevin S. Van Horn kvanhorn at ksvanhorn.com
Tue Apr 20 00:20:14 CEST 2004

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>Conclusion:  Very few books sell to more than 12% of the population of
>>potential buyers, and most books have a far lower penetration -- 1% or
>>

>Where did you get that 12% from?

A booklet on assessing financial feasibility in nonfiction book
publishing.  That's a general figure, so perhaps it doesn't apply if the
book in question is a must-have, definitive reference for the group in
question... like the book you mention (if it's the one I think it is).

> I have big problems with the definition. What is an `R user'? Someone
> who has ever used R, even for a one-hour practical class? Someone who
> has used R in the last 3 months?

Good question.  I guess I'd lean more towards your second definition,
with the added caveat of "and expects to use it again in the next 3 months".