[R] Menu addditions to Rcmdr v0.9-6

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Apr 20 02:59:35 CEST 2004

Dear Charles,

I realize that the documentation for adding capabilities to the Rcmdr is
woefully inadequate. When I have time this summer, and before I bump the
version number to 1.0-0, I plan to provide better documentation.

> I've been able to modify the menus themselves
> and source test code but I can't get R functions to execute
> from the menu. My latest proof of concept code follows:
>
> Three lines added to "Rcmdr-menus.txt":
>     menu    junkMenu        topMenu         ""                ""
>     item    junkMenu        command         "Print stuff..."
> "function()
> stuff ()"
>     item    topMenu         cascade         "Junk"            junkMenu
>

> "stuff.R":
> stuff <-function(){
> c("This is stuff to print...")
> }

For this kind of function call, you have to add an explicit print():

stuff <-function(){
  print(c("This is stuff to print..."))
  }

> 2)     A file called "compareModels.demo" is mentioned in the
> documentation
> but I haven't been able to find it in the Windows library
> downloaded from CRAN. Where should I look?

Unfortunately, as also happened with a previous example, I became too
enamoured of the compare-models dialog, which is now called by the "Models
-> Hypothesis tests -> Compare models" menu. I'll try to come up with a
sufficiently uninteresting example so that I don't do this again. You can
still examine the compareModels function, however, by looking at the R code
for the package.

I'm sorry that you encountered this problem.

John