[R] Size of R user base

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 20 09:43:05 CEST 2004

Not really.  We have looked at that in the past, but

- unsuccessful partial downloads can account for a high proportion of
download attempts, and it is hard to tell from the httpd logs exactly
which were successful.

- one would have to do it on all CRAN mirrors.

- the number will be a serious underestimate due to the prevalence of
caches.  (Once anyone in .ac.uk or on my ISP .ntl.com downloads it, it is
likely to be grabbed from the cache for the next week at least.)

Of course, once you have #downloads, it tells you little about
#installations, and that tells you little about #users.

It seems to me against the spirit of Open Source software to attempt to
monitor distribution.  We could ask R to `call home' on first use (in the
way e.g. pine does) but I suspect many users would find that
objectionable.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk