[R] Size of R user base

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Apr 20 13:55:50 CEST 2004

kjetil at entelnet.bo writes:

> On 20 Apr 2004 at 10:47, Philippe Grosjean wrote:

> > Of course, this will only work with computers connected to the
> > internet,... but at least, it could be one way to evaluate the number
> > of R users. Would that be an infringment of Open Source, or any other
> > rule of freedom? I don't know, but it does seem to be quite widespread
> > (at least for commercial software). so, why an Open Source software
> > would not be able to monitor the number of users?
>
> That would make R into spyware, and there exist software to monitore
> and warn aganst/automatically remove spyware, and some users have
> such installed (and it will grow).

Not quite spyware. Spyware generally works in more covert ways and
tries to hide itself from the user.

However, quite a few people think that having programs connecting to
places on the internet without being asked is annoying and a potential
invasion of privacy and it may even cost people money if they're on a
dialup non-flat-fee connection.