[R] Size of R user base

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Tue Apr 20 21:04:42 CEST 2004

At first I want to make clear that I have always paid for the
software that I use, I am even paying for the shareware that I use.

After this statement let me come to the current discussion:
It is really shocking that some people even think about integrating
a spyware system into an open source software project.
The internet has started as a chaotic and democratic system, but
is in danger to become the worst "Big Brother is watching you"
assistant to certain governments and companies, which become a
danger for the democracy and for peace.

I really hope that the R core developer will never consider such
a dangerous option!

Having said this, I am willing to ACTIVELY send an e-mail to
CRAN or R to tell that I am using R.

R is such a great project, developed by a great community in a
democratic manner, showing how well democracy can work. Adding
a monitoring system would destroy the whole project.

P.S.: Personally, I have even disabled cookies from my browser,
both at home and at the company, and I must say, that very seldom
would I need to enable cookies. If a company web-site forces me
to enable cookies, than I ignore this company: companies want to
sell products to customers, and with such a behavior they are
hopefully loosing customers.

Best regards
Christian
C.h.r.i.s.t.i.a.n. .S.t.r.a.t.o.w.a