[R] Debug problem

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Wed Apr 21 00:58:50 CEST 2004

Consider the following R session under Windows XP Pro.  Note that
if we set debugging for function
f then even if we reset its environment it still has debugging on.
Also if we copy f to g then g has debugging; however, if we change
g's environment then g no longer has debugging.    Why did f retain
debugging when its environment was changed but g did not?

R : Copyright 2004, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 1.9.0  (2004-04-12), ISBN 3-900051-00-3
[...snip...]
Type 'q()' to quit R.

> f <- function(x) { x }
> f(1)
[1] 1
> debug(f)
> f(1)
debugging in: f(1)
debug: {
}
Browse[1]> Q
> environment(f) <- new.env()
> f(1)
debugging in: f(1)
debug: {
}
Browse[1]> Q
> g <- f
> g(1)
debugging in: g(1)
debug: {
}
Browse[1]> Q
> environment(g) <- new.env()
> g(1)
[1] 1

P.S.  Here is just the input if you want to try it yourself by copying
and pasting into an R session:

f <- function(x) { x }
f(1)
debug(f)