[R] resetting the interpreter

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Wed Apr 21 15:15:01 CEST 2004

If you haven't tried 1.9.0 yet it does start up faster than 1.8.1.

Tamas Papp <tpapp <at> axelero.hu> writes:

:
: Hi,
:
: Sometimes I want to "reset" the R interpreter (as if I quit and
: started it again, with everything starting from scratch).  The main
: reason for this is when I expreriment with calculations, and later
: form them into general functions, sometimes I forget to include
: variables or reset some settings which I don't notice because they are
: already set.  This causes problems during batch calculations, and a
: lot of wasted time.
:
: Currently I am using rm(list=ls()), but it only cleans up the
: namespace.  Quitting and restarting is slow.  What I am looking for is
: a function that resets the R interpreter without restarting it.
:
: I did search the archives, but maybe I am using the wrong keywords:
: reset gives me a lot of results.  I would appreciate any advice on
: this, ie if there is no function to do this, how people cope with this
: problem.
:
: Thanks,
: