[R] (no subject)

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Wed Apr 21 16:21:38 CEST 2004

The "R Package" of Casgrain & Legendre is not an R package, but it is
an independent, compiled software package. Its name, R, comes from
golden VAX/VMS (or perhaps even PDP!) days, and pre-dates the R we know
as R. It seems that Pierre Legendre now uses our R in teaching, at
least in some parts, so it may be that some of the methods will be
ported to our R. Otherwise you must use his (or their) R, which is
freely available (and I think, even GPL'ed now).

For the Casgrain-Legendre R, see
http://www.fas.umontreal.ca/BIOL/legendre/. Pierre Legendre explained
somewhere the naming history, but I can't find it in his (or
Casgrain's) web pages. However, his package was called R long before
Ihaka & Gentleman introduced their R.

cheers,  jari oksanen

On 21 Apr 2004, at 15:57, Hanke, Alex wrote:

> Dear R-Help
> Does "The R Package for Multivariate and Spatial Analysis Version 4.0
> (Casgrain
> and Legendre, 2001)" exist on CRAN and under what name?  It supposedly
> has a
> chronological clustering program ,CHRONO, that I would like to use.
> Alternatively, I would ask if there is a R based program that performs
> chronological clustering?
>
> Thanks
> Alex
>
> Alex Hanke