[R] Improving on edit()?

Ajay Shah ajayshah at mayin.org
Thu Apr 22 07:49:06 CEST 2004

I learned about edit() recently and it's nice. For those on the list
who haven't found it yet, try:

> X = data.frame(100:0,200:100,300:200)
> Y=edit(X)

It gives you a (low grade) GUI where you can look at the data frame,
and make changes.

I was curious about a few things:

  1. tk has full featured support for "spreadsheet type" tables
     where the user can move around efficiently, make changes, etc.
     Perhaps it would be possible to make edit() use this?

  2. How might one write a function "ooedit" which would do the
     following:
        Write out the data as a .csv file
        Run openoffice on it
        Pick up the resulting .csv file upon exit and return it.

     :-)
     My R knowledge doesn't yet support writing this..

Thanks,

        -ans.

--
Ajay Shah                                                   Consultant
ajayshah at mayin.org                      Department of Economic Affairs