[R] Selection of cities sample

Matej Cepl cepl at surfbest.net
Thu Apr 22 06:56:46 CEST 2004

 Hi,

I have a question, how to most properly select set of cities
which would be as similar as possible in some particular
variables with the City of Boston (which I use as my base line).
I thought about ordering cities by sum of ((differences between
value of that particular variable for that particular city and
the value of same variable for Boston) divided by the standard
deviation of the variable and multiplied by the weight
(expressing how much that particular variable is important for
me, or how much I want to avoid cities with this
characteristic)). Is it sound method?

Or I am creating something which is already available in R as a
standard function (which I suspect)?

	Thanks,

		Matej

--
Matej Cepl, http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej

Give your heartache to him. (1Pt 5,7; Mt 11:28-30)