[R] Fatal Error: Invalid HOMEDRIVE

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Apr 22 18:46:37 CEST 2004

Vinyard Maj William C <VinyardWC at logcom.usmc.mil> writes:

> All,
>
> I've encountered the same problem as others who have posted under the same
> subject.
>
> I've had R-1.8.1 installed and running since it was released.  Yesterday
> morning when I tried to start Rgui.exe I got the subject error message.
> Since I live at the whim of the network administrators I can only assume it
> was a recent MS critical update.
>
> I tried installing R-1.9.0 but no joy.
>
> I created ".Renviron" with HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH values set appropriately
> (see bat file below) but this did not solve the problem either.
>
> The following did work:
>
> Create batch file MyRBat.bat
>
> ---start---
> SET HOMEDRIVE=D:  # for some reason "echo %HOMEDRIVE%" returns "C:" even
> when I set the install path to D:\{HOME}\

I don't think that is anomalous in itself. Install paths and home
directories are distinct concepts. But could you perhaps prepend
something like

SET > c:/TEMP/envir.txt

(I'm very rusty on Windows, but I think that should work) and tell us
what the variables are set to?

> SET HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\vinyardwc\My Documents\Rwork\work
>
> Rgui.exe
> ---end---

Btw, there's a user-friendlier way of setting environment variables on
XP isn't there?