[R] Changing Gui preferences

Murray Jorgensen maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz
Sat Apr 24 11:05:07 CEST 2004

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Murray Jorgensen wrote:
>

>>I want to modify my Gui preferences to get rid of the MDI toolbar and
>>status bar. [ Under Windows XP and R 1.8.1 and 1.9.0.]
>>
>>When I uncheck the boxes and click "apply" I am told to save the
>>preferences and the changes will take effect when restarting R. I click
>>"save" and a box comes up to ask me to save Rconsole (I'm not sure where
>>this should be saved but I navigate my way to where the old Rconsole was
>>and save on top of it.
>

> ?Rconsole tells you where the copy in use is saved.

What it says is:

      There are system copies of these files in 'R_HOME\etc'.  Users can
      have personal copies of the files: these are looked for in the
      location given by the environment variable 'R_USER'. The system
      files are read only if a corresponding personal file is not found.

      If the environment variable 'R_USER' is not set, the R system sets
      it to 'HOME' if that is set (stripping any trailing slash),
      otherwise to '{HOMEDRIVE}{HOMEPATH}' if 'HOMEDRIVE' is set
      otherwise to the working directory.

Now under Control Panel>System>Advanced I find a box listing
environmental variables. I find no R_HOME or R_USER listed there so
presumably they are not set.

I'm not sure how to find 'HOME' but I presume that it is the path that
appears in the 'Change directory' box when you open this through the
gui. In which case for me 'HOME' is

C:\apps\R\rw1090

Now I have 3 versions of Rconsole near here. They are in

C:\apps\R\rw1090\etc
C:\apps\R\rw1090           and
C:\apps\R

I still don't know how to change my Gui preferences!

 >[...]

Murray

--
Dr Murray Jorgensen      http://www.stats.waikato.ac.nz/Staff/maj.html
Department of Statistics, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand