[R] R vs Matlab: which is more "programmer friendly"?

Daniel Bebber danbebber at forestecology.co.uk
Sun Apr 25 17:29:35 CEST 2004

I have been using R for about 2 years and recently took a 6 week
introductory course to Matlab.
I can give entirely personal answers to your questions.

1. 'How smart?'. Don't know exactly what you mean, but both languages are
extremely functional. Both emphasize writing of functions to call rather
than repeatedly typing in the same code, so they encourage good programming
practice. I started with R, so prefer its syntax.

2. 'Learning curve'. Similar. R has a simpler interface. Matlab has various
enhancements that may help in the learning process, for example the path
browser and workspace browser in which you can interactively keep track of
all the objects in the workspace. Both have comprehensive help packages.

3. 'Further development'. Has to be R- its FREE! I don't know many students
who would fork out the money for a Matlab license.

4. 'Flexibility'. Both are perhaps infinitely flexible. You can write any
code you like, to do any statistical or mathematical processing. I would say
R is better for statistical analysis (though Matlab has a stats package you
can purchase), while Matlab is designed for mathematics. With Matlab you can
compile GUIs to run analyses, which are probably useful for sharing with
people who can't program.

Some other points.
1. I have heard that Matlab is faster than S-PLUS (and hence R?) at
performing calculations.
2. I found Matlab to be quite frustrating in its handling of data- for
example it is extremely difficult to save a data frame in which variables
are labelled with there names.

Hope this helps.

Dan Bebber

Department of Plant Sciences