[R] Looking for help in calculating percentiles

arinbasu@softhome.net arinbasu at softhome.net
Mon Apr 26 09:28:58 CEST 2004

Hi All:

I am working with a dataset on Arsenic toxicity, and I am trying to
calculate the 20th, 40th, 60th, 80th, and highest percentiles for a
variable, dietary Moisture (variable name dMoist).

The inbuilt function quantile(dMoist) would print 0, 25th, 50th, 75th, and
100th percentile. Does there exist a function that can calculate xth
percentile (where x = 10th, 20th, ... etc) values?

I looked for such functions in the documentation, but couldn't find one. Has
anyone written a similar function that can be used? Is there a module or a
function that I have missed?

I use R in both Windows XP as well as Linux (Fedora Core 1 (Yarrow)) on a
Duron I Gz machine with 128 MB RAM.

Thanks in Advance,
Arin Basu