[R] Spatial Autocorrelation for point data

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Apr 26 12:42:32 CEST 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Jan Verbesselt wrote:

> Hi R helpers,
>
> Is there a function (package?) in R available which tests "spatial
> autocorrelation" between points (e.g. vector layer of weather stations)?
> (e.g. Moran's I...)
>
> Via the archives we found out that there is a package 'spdep' which uses
> grid data for testing spatial autocorrelation.

I think you will find that spdep contains the tools you need to build
neighbour lists from points (for example by triangulation, tri2nb()), in
order to calculate Moran's I. Look at the help pages for knearneigh(),
tri2nb(), dnearneigh(), and/or graph2nb() to get an idea of the
possibilities. Other functions can be used to modify triangulation
neighbours, bu note that if you generate points with no neighbours for
your definition of neighbours, you will need to specify this in arguments
to analysis functions.

Roger Bivand