[R] R vs Matlab: which is more "programmer friendly"?

Rajarshi Guha rajarshi at presidency.com
Mon Apr 26 21:16:19 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 15:10, Fan wrote:
> To get more opinions, you might be also interested to take a
> look at MATLAB newsgroup, there were some interesting threads
> on the topic, for example:
>
> http://newsreader.mathworks.com/WebX?50@88.3Z0AaB5okKu.1@.eec5e6d

That was an interesting link.
One point popped up at me. At one one point somebody mentions:

2) easy prototyping
   - I don't even think that S+ and R are
     real competitors here.

I have'nt used S+ but I have used R to 'prototype' code and then once I
know the algorithm works, rework it in C for efficiency if required.

Personally, I find R a very nice framework for prototyping numerical
code (my other favourite is Python) since in many cases the 'prototype'
is fast enough for my needs.

Do other people use R in this fashion?

Rajarshi Guha <rxg218 at psu.edu> <http://jijo.cjb.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 0CCA 8EE2 2EEB 25E2 AB04 06F7 1BB9 E634 9B87 56EE