[R] R-crash using read.shape (maptools)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Apr 29 09:04:18 CEST 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Danny Heuman wrote:

> Hi Herry,
>
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:20:44 +1000, you wrote:
>
> >Hi List,
> >
> >I am trying to read a large shapefile (~37,000 polys) using read.shape [winxp, 1gig ram, dellbox). I receive the following error:
> >
> >AppName: rgui.exe	 AppVer: 1.90.30412.0	 ModName: maptools.dll
> >ModVer: 1.90.30412.0	 Offset: 0000309d
> >
> >The getinfo.shape returns info, and the shapefile is readable in arcmap.
> >
> >Any ideas on how to overcome this?
> >
> >Thanks Herry
> >
> >-------------------------------------------
> >Alexander Herr - Herry
> >

> I've had difficulty if there is too much detail in the polygon
> definition (i.e. too many nodes).  Try thinning the polygons and try
> again.
>
> Danny

I think that this is fair advice. The underlying shapelib code may not
scale well to very many, very intricate polygons, and may not handle
malformed polygons gracefully. Arcgis typically both reads and writes its
own format quite uncritically. If this really needs to be solved, please
contact me off-list with a smaller reproducible sample and information on
the platform you are using (looks like windows (XP?), R 1.9.0, but which
maptools?

Roger Bivand

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no