[R] Exact Binomial test feature or bug?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Apr 30 10:16:16 CEST 2004

alan.arnholt at unavarra.es writes:

> Dear R Users,
>
> Is the p-value reported in a two-tailed binomial exact
> test in error or is it a feature?

A feature. Two sided exact tests are really a contradiction in terms
since there are multiple ways of doing it and confidence intervals are
even worse. We do at times consider making the different methods
selectable. There's a similar issue with fisher.test.

> If it is a feature, could someone provide a reference
> for its two-tailed p-value computations?

It's just the sum of probabilities of outcomes with a smaller
likelihood. (In fisher.test for more than 2x2 tables that is basically
the only thing you can do, so it does give some consistency.)