[R] RGUI Console settings

Duncan Mackay Duncan.Mackay at flinders.edu.au
Wed Aug 4 03:11:47 CEST 2004

Hi all,
Would someone like to comment on the relation between the "buffer bytes"
and "lines" settings in the console settings? Are they interdependent?
If so, how? And why allow both to be tweaked? If not, what is the effect
of changing "lines", but leaving "buffer bytes" the same?

I wanted to be able to see more of some large outputs in my console, as
I was losing the beginning of the outputs under the default console
settings. I changed the "lines" setting from 8000 to 16000, but that
didn't seem to change the no. of lines that would display (checked with
"for(i in 1:9000) print(i)"). So then I changed the "buffer bytes"
setting to 130000 and now the console will display what I want. But
clearly I don't really understand what is going on here ........
Thanks, Duncan

Dr. Duncan Mackay
School of Biological Sciences
Flinders University