[R] Order of messgaes/ missing messages

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 04:06:48 CEST 2004

> Note that if this bothers you then you could try a web-based
> email systems (e.g. yahoo, hotmail, etc.) to receive your r-help
> messages since the path to any of them would be independent of your
> particular location on the net.

I use gmail and still often recieve replies before the original
message.  Why should using webmail make a difference?  Surely it's the
r mailing list server that does all the sending (apart from specific
individual replies)?  And the listserve must recieve the reply after
the original, so it seems to me that it must be the time it takes to
get between the server and you that is varying.  Or is the listserve
sitting on some emails before sending them?  One test would be to see
if we recieve emails in the same order.

Hadley