[R] Order of messgaes/ missing messages

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Thu Aug 5 04:59:23 CEST 2004

hadley wickham <h.wickham <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Note that if this bothers you then you could try a web-based
> > email systems (e.g. yahoo, hotmail, etc.) to receive your r-help
> > messages since the path to any of them would be independent of your
> > particular location on the net.
>
> I use gmail and still often recieve replies before the original
> message.  Why should using webmail make a difference?

Because it depends on where the receiver of the message is on the net
and your receiver with ordinary mail is your ISP but the receiver with
webmail providers is the webmail provider's ISP and they are normally
different.   (Note that I am not referring to sites like mail2web.com
which just interface to your ISP but to ones that actually have
their own distinct pop server through which you get your web based
mail.)

If one web mail doesn't work well try another.   Another thing you
can do is to check gmane at
   http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general
or one of the r-help archive sites if you get a reply before the
message its replying to.  The original (and others) may be there
even if you have not received them.