[R] Giving a first good impression of R to Social Scientists

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Thu Aug 12 17:02:14 CEST 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Rau, Roland wrote:

> That is why would like to ask the experts on this list if anyone of you has
> encountered a similar experience and what you could advise to persuade
> people quickly that it is worth learning a new software?

One problem is that it may not be true.  Unless these people are going to
be doing their own statistics in the future (which is probably true only
for a minority) they might actually be better off with a point and click
interface.  I'm (obviously) not arguing that SPSS is a better statistical
environment than R, but it is easier to learn, and in 10 or 15 weeks they
may not get to see the benefits of R.

	-thomas